1C. finely milled/blended Kiawe Flour
1.5 C. finely milled/blended Chinese Pearl Barley (Coix/Jobs Tears)
1.5 Tbsp. Dbl acting baking powder
1 Tbsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. Stevia
3/8 Tsp. salt
2 C. mashed very ripe apple banana
½ C. chopped walnuts
1/3 C. coconut oil
Optional: 1 Tsp. vanilla
1. Grind flours separately to a cake flour texture. I use a magic bullet/flat blade or a vitamix/dry container.
2. In a bowl combine all dry ingredients. Do not eliminate the salt! Salt is necessary to activate the baking soda and baking powder when the dry ingredients are mixed with the wet, and then again when heated in the oven. No salt = no rise.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. In another bowl beat together the eggs and oil till frothy.
5. Mash your Very Ripe apple bananas- Do Not Puree.
6. Combine egg/oil, mashed bananas, chopped walnuts and vanilla (optional)
7. Stir the dry mixture into the wet in 1/3 increments until all the flour is moistened.
8. Pour batter into an oiled 9″ x 5″ x 3″ bread pan.
9. Bake @ 350 for 70-75 minutes and test if it is finished by inserting a wooden skewer. If skewer come out clean the bread is done. If there is batter on the skewer then bake 5-7minutes and recheck.
10. Place pan on cooling rack for 10 minutes, then remove bread and continue to cool the loaf or try it!
Tip #1: Chinese Pearl Barley/Coix/Jobs Tears can be found in grocery stores in China Town.
Tip #2: You can expand the recipe 1.5 times and bake in a cake pan to use as a cake. A whipped cream cheese fresh banana frosting is lovely! Now you have a gluten free, no sugar added birthday cake!
Tip #3: Replace Chinese Pearl Barley flour with a gluten free flour mix and reduce baking time 5-7 minutes.